1/1/09

Happy new year!

What sort of resolutions have the Ecohouse students been coming up with? I'm so glad you asked. Here are some of them, in their own words:

Maura: Shorter showers and learning how to ride a bike!

Natalie: My new year's resolution is to learn to cook vegetarian food. Having been a vegetarian for 6 years now it's probably about time.

Olivia: I resolve to pay special attention to where my food and other products are coming from to reduce the miles they go. Also, on second thought, I resolve to actually remember my reusable bags when I go to the store.

Michelle: One of my new year's resolutions is to live more simply.

Hanna: My new year's eco resolution is to eat only local meat.

Elena: I've been wanting to live more simply ever since I joined Ecohouse (be happier with fewer things, be content without always being hooked up with tvs, computers, phones, etc). (She asked me to reword this one but I think it's pretty good the way it is.)

Makeda, our lovely teaching assistant: My resolution is to use public transportation at least two times a week and to take more walks outside (even if it's a little chilly for me!!!).

And me? Well, I want to ride a bike more regularly, more because it's fun than anything. I want to take shorter showers more often than not - I'm good about them, but then the air gets cold and I slide back into the "I'll just stand here for a while until I'm good and ready..." mode. I want to buy things locally instead of ordering them online. When I do order them, I'll order them from relatively close by. And since most of the things I order on the internet are books (used, at least I get that one right), I'll get into the habit of checking the library for the books that I want instead of buying them.

So happy new year and may you all find the time, willpower, guts, and oomph to not only keep your resolutions, but make new ones throughout the year. You do at least have the support of Ecohouse.

No comments: