2/27/09

Notice anything different about me?

Well, I'll tell you what's different: I cut my hair!

Before this morning, people would often accidentally sit on my hair when they sat next to me on the couch. I had bleached the last 4-5 inches several times, and while the blue, red, and purple dyes I used were conditioning, the tips were finally starting to get yucky.

So now the longest parts go about down to my armpits. Some people consider that long, but you know, it won't get sat on.

What am I going to do with my ex-hair? About four years ago I came home from school late with an 18 inch braid dangling in my hands, and I informed my mother that I was sending it to Locks of Love. This time, I don't have a long, undamaged braid; I have multi-colored clippings. So I'm going to send my clippings to Matter of Trust.

Matter of Trust is a San Francisco-based company that uses hair clippings to clean up oil spills. I'd send it somewhere closer, but the San Fran company is the only one I know of. Hair does a good job of soaking up oil, as you'll know if you've ever been camping in a no-shower zone. The hair mats are biodegraded by fungi in the water, apparently, and they can make good compost. Only in San Francisco. Someday we won't have oil spills and I'll have to think of some other destination for my hair.

If you prefer to give business to your local hair salon instead of cutting your hair at home, you can still ask your stylist to send your hair to Matter of Trust. I'm excited to send my quart-sized bag full of hair to them.

Okay, excuse me, I need to go back to obsessing over my reflection and tossing my hair around like a ridiculously vain horse now.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I've never heard of Matter of Trust! That's such a crazy idea! And so cool!